If you need legal advice, please complete and send the:
When completing the form, please provide as much information as possible to assist us with your request. You will receive an email acknowledging your request and advising the next steps.
The Legal Office provides advice to the University and its controlled entities on all legal matters affecting the University, including:
- Commercial contracts
- Research-related legal advice
- Intellectual property protection and commercialisation
- Trademarks and branding
- Dealing with regulators including investigations, reviews and audits
- Employment matters
- Student conduct and student complaints
- Discrimination issues
- UNSW policies and procedures generally
- Dispute resolution
Where appropriate, the Legal Office engages, and manages the delivery of services by, external counsel.
The Legal Office provides legal services in relation to the University’s research activities primarily through the Division of Research which includes:
- Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- Grants Management Office (GMO)
- Research Partnerships Unit (RPU)
- Research Strategy Office (RSO)
- Mark Wainwright Analytical Centre
- UNSW Innovations (NSi)
In the first instance researchers should contact these offices with any research-related enquiries. The GMO and RPU will forward externally funded research matters to the Legal Office for advice as required.